Each week I post our family’s meal plan for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. It may seem like TMI (too much information), but I do it because it gives you an idea of what a family meal plan could look like, in case you want to try instituting one yourself. I’ve found meal plans to be the single biggest money saver in the area of food purchases because they eliminate the need buy take-out or go to a restaurant when you don’t know what to eat. With a meal plan, you know what to buy at the grocery store for the upcoming week, so the ingredients will be ready to throw together when you’re hungry.
- Monday: I’m going to try something new for dinner: Huevos Rancheros. Specifically, fried eggs served with refried beans, salsa & cheese. I don’t do “breakfast for dinner” very often, and I’m kind of excited about this.
- Tuesday: Taco Tuesday! Well, we’ll do nachos this week instead of tacos, but it’s virtually the same ingredients: ground turkey taco filling, refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped white onion, salsa, and cilantro. All sprinkled over tortilla chips and then broiled until the cheese is melted.
- Wednesday: Tuna Pasta (basically this recipe, but I don’t add anchovies). It’s a cheap and tasty dinner to make, even with higher-end canned tuna: Costco just started carrying Wild Planet Tuna fish for $2.25/can, which excites me to no end because it’s lower in mercury, and more “dolphin safe” than conventional brands. And retail stores sell it for $4/can.
- Thursday: Once again, homemade bagel dogs with onion rings, Boston baked beans, and a green salad.
- Friday: Eating out at school fundraiser.
- Saturday: Burger Night! I’ve been craving one of our standard favorites: salmon burgers from Costco, with naan from Trader Joe’s. I have yet to buy a vegetable to go with it, but my guess is that corn or green beans will be on sale.
- Sunday: International Night. We’ll do homemade pizza, with salad on the side. For years I’ve been using this easy homemade dough recipe and it’s never failed me.
- Cheerios or Apple Cinnamon Chex with milk
- Quaker Instant Oatmeal with milk
- Wednesday only: Homemade cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs
We eat fruit with every breakfast- this week honeydew melon, pears and cantaloupe
- Leftover pizza
- Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches
- Crackers & cheese
We also eat fruit/vegetables with every lunch- the same fruit options as for breakfast, plus tomato or cucumber salad
What’s YOUR menu plan this week?